mardi 24 février 2009

Oscars Fashion

I totally adore Oscars night, though this year I haven't got round to seeing nearly enough films so instead let's focus on the fashions. The - pictures below. There seemed to be a good variety this year - all long dresses as usual but we had bright colours, nudes, black, white and even Whoopi Goldberg in leopard print. There were fishtails galore, and a lot of sequins around.

Here's a selection from NY Times' great slideshow.
Black dresses:


Marion Cottilard, Vanessa Hudgens in Marchesa, Diane Lane in Dolce & Gabbana and Beyonce
I feel like Diane Lane is hands down winner in the black fishtail category. Marion Cottilard looks gorgeous, but I keep remembering how much more amazing she looked last year when she won. She was wearing that mermaid-esque Jean-Paul Gaultier dress - perfect dress, hair and makeup and she just looked exquisite

White dresses:
Taraji P Henson in Roberto Cavalli, Miley Cyrus, Jessica Biel in Prada, Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive.
I'm guessing Jessica Biel rocked up late, chose the last dress on the rack and didn't have time to do her hair. Seriously - what was that look about? I love the effect of those massive sequins on Anne Hathaway's dress..though I'm not convinved about matching your dress to your skin colour so closely.

Blue and purple:
Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys in Armani Prive, Freida Pinto in John Galliano, Natalie Portman in Rodarte.
Queen Latifah I think it just one of the most beautiful women around, and she really looks gorgeous in this colour. In fact, I love all these dresses - perfectly chosen.

Silver and nude:Kate Winslet in YSL, Meryl Streep in Alberta Ferretti, Tilda Swinton in Lanvin, Evan Rachel Wood in Elie Saab.
Kate Winslet looks perfectly groomed as ever, but I preferred the dresses she wore to the BAFTAs and the Golden Globes. Meryl Street is textbook 'how to look stylish over 40'. Tilda Swinton still managed to wear something unsual, but not as contraversial as last years dress.

The reds:

Virginia Madsen, Heidi Klum in Roland Mouret, Amanda Seyfried, Amy Adams in Carolina Herrera.

Hmm. Usually I love red dresses - though none of these really grab me all that much.

Silver/light grey:
Marisa Tomei in Versace, Penelope Cruz in vintage Balmain, Sarah Jessica Parker in Dior
Beyonce in Armani Prive.

Now normally I'm nota huge fan of big pouffy dresses, but there's something about Penelope Cruz in this that is wonderful - I think her hair looks a little retro, and appropriate for the dress and I feel like she should be walking down that red carpet with Gregory Peck on her arm. I love it. SJP...a little OTT?

And how about Angelina Jolie vs. Jennifer Aniston?
















Much was made in the papers of them both being at the Oscars, though surely they've both been at the same public event before? Angelina never looks bad,but this really is a little dull. I know she doesn't go sparkle or bling, but I just a dash of colour? Jennifer Aniston looks gorgeous in the Valentino dress which suits her simple personal style, yet still has a bit of interest to it. And I love her slightly scruffy, yet perfectly groomed hair. Beautiful.

Which dress was your favourite?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire